Sushi in Need: How to Hedge or Short?

Table of Contents

Join our community

Estimated reading time: 0 minutes

Sushi in Need: How to Hedge or Short?

After the statement of the head chef of decentralized exchange Sushiswap that it’s true they are running out of money and have reduced costs by half in the past two months.

Their last resort is offering a proposal where Sushi wants to expand the treasury by redirecting all the shares/rewards of xsushi stakers.

A proposal that benefits the treasury but will reduce incentives for Sushi Stakers and could result in a further decline in price. 

What is xSushi?

Sushiswap allows its users to stake their Sushi tokens and receive xSushi in return. This could then be staked in the xSushi pool for additional rewards. In the current proposal, all those rewards will be redirected for at least one-year to the Sushiswap treasury. 

What is the ‘Sushiswap’ treasury?

A treasury refers to a reserve of cryptocurrency that is owned and managed by an organization, in this case Sushiswap. The purpose of the treasury is to provide a source of funds that can be used for various purposes, such as investing in other cryptocurrencies, paying salaries or expenses, or providing liquidity to support the organization’s operations. 

Sushiswap treasury balance

It is common for a cryptocurrency treasury to be heavily invested in its own token, in this case we see that Sushiswap has 85% of its treasury in SUSHI. This is risky because if price action continues to decline there is still gonna be a shortfall earlier than expected. The rest of the 15% is diversified in ETH and the stablecoin USDC. More diversification from the start had been a better strategy. The address of the Sushiswap treasury can be found here.

Sushiswap-Treasury-Snapshot

Where to short Sushiswap – SUSHI? 

To short sell SUSHI, you would need to open a margin/derivatives account with a cryptocurrency exchange that offers short selling. Most major crypto exchanges, such as ByBit, Huobi or Binance offer short selling as a service.

How to Short Sushiswap –  SUSHI?

In case you want to hedge your Sushi positions or just want to speculate on further decline in its price, you can do so. To short Sushiswap – SUSHI, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Open an account on ByBit that allows short selling.
  2. Deposit funds into your account. Keep in mind that short selling typically requires a margin account, which means you will need to have a certain amount of money available to borrow the Sushiswap – SUSHI you plan to short.
  3. Find the SUSHI ticker symbol and locate the current price. 
  4. Place a sell order for the number of SUSHIs you want to short at the current market price. This will create a short position in your account.
  5. Monitor the price of Sushiswap – SUSHI and the value of your short position. If the price decreases, your short position will increase in value.
  6. Close your short position by buying back the same number of Sushiswap – SUSHIs you sold short. This will effectively “cover” your short position and return the borrowed Sushiswap – SUSHI to the lender.

What are the risks of shorting?

Keep in mind that short selling carries a higher degree of risk than traditional buying and holding, as you can potentially lose more money than you initially invested if the price of SUSHI increases. Also a delisting could happen where SUSHI is removed or “delisted” from trading on the exchange. Always do more research when planning to position yourself in these markets.

Crypto_Library_logo_512x512_svg

Disclaimer: Trading and investing in cryptocurrencies (also called digital or virtual currencies, altcoins) involves a substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for every investor. You are solely responsible for the risk and financial resources you use to trade crypto. The content on this website is primarily for informational purposes and does not constitute financial advice.

Are you ready to take your trading skills to the next level?

"Trade Like a PEPE" is the ultimate course that will transform you into a confident and profitable trader! 📈

🐸 Transform into a confident and profitable trader

📈 Master technical analysis, risk management, and market psychology to navigate the crypto markets like a pro.

🔍 Develop a proven trading plan and spot high-probability setups.

Safe your spot!